Pages

Exploring Istanbul with dad!


16 February 2018, what a lovely day it was! A daughter set on the journey to meet her dad whom she didn’t see for 3 long months. I settled here in Istanbul for doing master’s in Data Sciences. With the end of my semester, my dad planned a 3 days trip to see me at Istanbul. He then had to fly to California to meet my older sister who was waiting to see him with same impatience.

The journey towards the hotel

As I was new to Istanbul myself, I hadn’t enough travelled  outside my campus. I was not much acquainted with the transport system or different places. As I waited for the bus and looked up to my phone, suddenly I realized something and my brain busted! Why the hell is my GPS not working? and the mobile data wouldn't  on too! though I had just got the data package yesterday… While I was comprehending what just happened,  the bus number 17 stopped infront.

Now I had to take a quick decision in this predicament whether to go inside the bus or not knowing the fact, my journey is towards the other European side of Istanbul. With no clue for where I am heading towards, with no GPS, no internet, and above all, NO Turkish language skills to talk to people to guide me the way. I chose to set off for the journey.

I still felt something enormously pleasant that filled me with peace and a confidence that could break a solid rock! May be, it was the happiness to seeing my dad that spirited me so high!

Travelling through the sea

It took me around one hour to reach the last station Kadikoy. From there I was to catch a ferry to reach Eminonu. I was relying on one of my friend Halit in case I am lost. One day before he had given me a list of directions to follow for this journey.

It was freezing cold already. Everyone heading for ferry preferred sitting in the warmth of ground floor but my tarzan spirit made me to climb up the stairs and sit in open air. The beautiful white doves had surrounded the ship and not for a single second I felt alone with them. They moved along as the ship moved.. I was praising the wonders of God, the breeze, the shiny water was so calm , every specie looked so holy!


Oops, Lost!! 

It was about a 30 minutes journey of sail till I reach my station. From there I was to catch a Tramway that will go to Cemberlistas. But woah! I couldn’t see any tramway. I wondered all around. By the time it was confirmed me being lost, I made a call to Halit for help. In the middle, I also got confronted with two Turkish men in uniforms who wanted to take the fun of bullying a lost girl. It was annoying, they asked me about my country and my name and had those creepy smiles. ‘MashAllah MashAllah!’ remarking and eye balling me all over! :@

Finally I found the Tramway... and what a surprise..!! My gps started working! I reached Cemberlitas and from there to the Grand Yavuz Hotel.

And here it comes! :) 

The time I reached the hotel, the management delighted and exclaimed ‘Daughter! Daughter! as they saw me. I then realized that my father was there before me and he has made this fuss all over in the hotel to inform him as soon as I reach the hotel. I also received calls from some of my friends asking where I was as my father had called them asking about me. For a father, no matter how old their daughter gets, she is still a child for him. My dad was very worried how I will reach to hotel all alone and as I reach the hotel he met me like a mother deer uniting with her lost baby deer.

Hotel was beautiful, the room was cozy, but the best thing was the yummy breakfast in the morning. Me and abbu(dad) use to enjoy it the most :D
 

Day 1

Our first day was spent going to the Blue Mosque. We offered prayers over there.



We then went to Hagia Sophia next. It was a wonderful experience too. We set to see the history. It was ironic to see that with the names of ‘Allah’ and Muhammed’ in right and left there was also the picture of Jesus in the middle top. This showed how the times changed and this mosque at one time was a mosque and the other time a church and this keep on happening till in last it became a museum and a monument for thousands of visitors to witness the history.






We then went to Topkapi Palace. There were very holy things like the amama of the Last Prophet (Peace be upon him and his descendants) , his beard hair, the sword of Hazrat Jaffer e Tayar and Hazrat Ammar bin Yasir. There were lots of other things during the reign of the third Caliph.

Tired then we walked back to the hotel. Near our hotel was a restaurant with tandoori bread. Abbu loved it!

Day 2

Second day, we set for shopping for my sister and a little sweater we bought for our cousin’s son from near the topkapi palace. We also went to the sea side, had coffee  and remained there till the sunset! <3


Day 3, Time to good bye!

Third day, we set for packing our stuff. My hand bag this time was so heavy which again freaked my dad of how will I be able to carry it. My station from the hotel was a little far and sloppy. The hotel car was to drop my dad to the airport but first me to the station. It was time to say goodbye. Our car stopped in the middle of the road, blocking the way for other cars behind. My dad jumped out of the car, hurriedly got my bag out from the back. Cupped my face and gave a kiss on my forehead tightly. He then jumped back inside the car. Every thing was so fast, my emotions couldn’t comprehend everything that happened. I waved back my dad from outside and then turned back as the car disappeared from the sight.

Return Journey and the amiable lady


My return journey was as calm as before. Except this time I met a very amiable Turkish woman named Altinae who was around 50 year old. I only had asked her my way through google translator. After that, she became so lovable that she ordered tea, for me, gave me bread to eat with it. While I ate, and some of the bread pieces fell on my jacket, she started picking it up from my jacket. While I was just finished with the coffee that I saw a cup of tea coming towards me. We sat in the ferry together. She showed me pictures of her newly wed son and the three months old baby pictures. Her expressions were so sweet with a broad smile pasted on her face. She also exchanged numbers with me. When my station neared she stood up, gave my kisses on both my cheeks. Literally lifted my bag towards the exit and we then waved heartily to each other. The cute thing was, that we made such a good interaction without speaking anything but just through handly gestures as we didn’t understand each other's language. It was funny though but the lady was just like an angel out of nowhere.

While on ferry, and I saw the beautiful view. It urged me strongly to learn deeply about Turkish culture and history. I also thought of how a lovely time have I spent with my dad and was praising God for his blessings.

My dad is very special to me. He has been like a shadow to me since I opened my eyes. Since, I was the youngest one in the family, he loved me dearly and so did I. For me, he is a superman. My dad worked in the Oman's navy for 38 long years. He had to live alone for the last 12 years of his job. The place was tough, a deserted place named as Ibra. But he undertook all of this pain just to make us grow. That’s with all the fathers! They don’t take anything, but only knows giving. They only want to see that you are happy, so they are happy. I have no words to describe the value of a father on the child's life. For those who lost their dads, just let yourself know that your dad is still loving you and it is the same spirit that's keeping you moving. For those with their dads, keep praying for their  well-being, serve them and love them as they indeed are very precious!








If you enjoyed this post and wish to be informed whenever a new post is published, then make sure you subscribe to my regular Email Updates. Subscribe Now!


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

YOUR ADSENSE CODE GOES HERE

0 comments:

Have any question? Feel Free To Post Below:

Leave your feed back here.

 

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Like Us at

WUZ Following

Join People Following WUZ

© 2011. All Rights Reserved | WriteUpZone | Template by Blogger Widgets

Home | About | Top